For as long as I can remember, sweet potato pie has been one of my favorite desserts, and it is one of those desserts that stays good longer than most. But what is the best way to store sweet potato pie so that it maintains the best quality and taste for the longest amount of time?
Sweet potato pie is best when stored in the refrigerator, and should be covered and placed in the refrigerator as soon as it cools after baking. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, and can also be stored in the freezer for up to six months.
In the following paragraphs, we will discuss in more detail the various ways of storing sweet potato pie.
How Long Can You Keep Sweet Potato Pie?
How long sweet potato and any other type of pie lasts depends on the ingredients used in making the pie and the conditions under which it has been kept. For example:
- If the ingredients used in making the pie include eggs or any kind of dairy product including milk, cream, buttermilk, sour cream, cream cheese, cheese (for savory pies), condensed milk, or evaporated milk, then that pie must be refrigerated as soon as it is cool enough to be put into the refrigerator.
- If stored in the refrigerator, sweet potato pie will be good for up to 4 days. The cool temperature provided by refrigeration can slow bacteria’s growth, but it does not entirely prevent it.
- If sweet potato pie hasn’t been eaten and is still in the refrigerator after about 4 days, it can be double wrapped in plastic wrap and foil or placed in a freezer-safe container and frozen. I recommend good freezer-safe containers if the pie will be stored for an extended period. Here are some on Amazon that should do the trick. They are specially designed for pies and cakes.
Sweet Potato Pie Storage Guide
Here are the guidelines for the shelf life of sweet potato pie under different conditions:
Sweet Potato Pie
|Length of Time Safely Stored
|2 to 4 hours
|Up to 4 days
|6 to 8 months
Here is what the USDA has to say about pies similar to sweet potato:
“Pumpkin, Pecan, and other Pies containing Eggs. Pies containing eggs should be eaten as soon as possible after baking and cooling. Otherwise, these pies should be refrigerated. They keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days. Both pumpkin and pecan pies can be frozen with some success for up to two months. In freezing, they lose some of their integrity; the filling may separate a bit and the crust may get soggy. To freeze these pies, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and foil or place in an air-tight freezer bag. Thaw the pies in the refrigerator before using.”
Can You Leave Cooked Sweet Potato Pie Out Overnight?
If you have a cool area in your home like a utility room, a sunroom, or a screened porch where the temperature is 40 degrees or below, it would be safe to leave the pies there for a longer period without being refrigerated.
Having said that, many is the time I have made my pies the night before a holiday meal and left them unrefrigerated in the coolest area in the house (which was probably not as low as 40 degrees) until the meal the next day, and they were always perfectly fine.
My reasons for leaving the pies out overnight were two-fold: the main reason was that I wanted the pies to taste freshly baked, and they just don’t taste that way after they have been refrigerated, and the second reason is simply because I was never able to get everything into the refrigerator that I had prepared for the holiday meal.
Here’s me making my “famous” sweet potato pie:
Do Pies Need to Be Refrigerated?
Sweet potato as well as most other pies must be refrigerated because they are made with milk and eggs. Those ingredients contain high levels of protein and moisture that support the growth of bacteria making it necessary to refrigerate them after they are baked. The USDA says they should be refrigerated within 2 hours of being baked.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Sweet potato pie can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months or longer if wrapped properly or stored in a freezer-safe container. The longer the pies are frozen, however, the more the taste will be degraded and the crust soggy. So even though they will keep longer and will be quite good, to experience the maximum flavor and texture of the pie, it must be consumed within the first two to three months after it has been frozen.
Is It Better to Freeze a Sweet Potato Pie Before or After Baking?
A sweet potato pie that has previously been frozen is very good once it has been thawed and possibly heated. However, here are two even better options:
- Freeze the pie before baking it, or
- Freeze the pie filling and the crust separately, then put them together and bake them when you want to serve them.
Either of these two options will give you the freshly made pie flavor and texture.
How Do You Prepare a Sweet Potato Pie for Freezing?
To prepare a sweet potato pie for freezing, wait until the pie has completely cooled before freezing and follow these steps:
- Wrap the pie in at least two plastic wrap layers, making sure there is a good seal to avoid odors from other foods.
- Add a good layer of aluminum foil to protect from freezer burn.
- Put it into a freezer-safe container, like this one from Amazon, for extra protection.
If you want to make sure your pie is cooked perfectly, you won’t want to miss my article called When Is Sweet Potato Pie Done? (To Avoid Overcooking).
How Do You Thaw a Frozen Pie?
Follow these steps to thaw a previously frozen pie:
- Remove the frozen pie from the freezer 12 to 24 hours before serving and unwrap the foil and plastic wrap.
- Allow the pie to thaw in the refrigerator to avoid condensation that would ruin the crust by making it soggy.
Can You Reheat Sweet Potato Pie?
Sweet potato pie can be reheated by either of two methods:
- Frozen: Place the frozen pie on a baking sheet into a preheated oven at 350 degrees and heat the uncovered pie for approximately 45 minutes.
- Thawed: Thaw the frozen pie in the refrigerator for approximately 2 days. When fully thawed, place the pie on a baking sheet into a preheated oven at 350 degrees and heat for approximately 20 minutes.
Can You Rebake a Sweet Potato Pie?
If you have a sweet potato pie that was previously baked but not frozen, it can be rebaked in a 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes and will taste very close to being freshly made.
How Do You Tell if Sweet Potato Pie Has Gone Bad?
- The best way to tell that a sweet potato pie has gone bad is that the crust will be soggy and rather tasteless.
- The texture of the pie filling will become watery.
- Any smell or taste that seems off will be an indicator that the pie should be discarded.
- Any signs of mold are a definite indicator that the pie should be discarded immediately, even though I cannot imagine a piece of sweet potato pie could last that long in my kitchen.
What can you do to make your sweet potato pies last longer?
- Refrigerate the pies as soon after baking as they cool completely.
- If not immediately refrigerated after baking, store the pies in a cool, dry area away from direct sunlight and at a temperature as close to 40 degrees Fahrenheit as possible.
- Keep the pie covered at all times to avoid airborne contamination.
- Use only a knife or pie server that is dedicated to that particular pie to avoid cross-contamination with other food.
- After a sweet potato pie has been refrigerated and you take it out to serve again, do not leave it unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours.
- Freeze sweet potato pies after 4 days in the refrigerator to use at a later time.
How Do You Store Sweet Potato Pie From the Store?
Unlike most homemade pies, sweet potato pie that has been bought from the grocery or supermarket is probably made with preservatives that will allow them to sit out unrefrigerated for longer than fresh homemade pies. So, suppose you bought a pie that was not refrigerated at the store. In that case, it will be alright to allow it to sit out in your kitchen until its expiration date, that is, unless it contains directions to refrigerate after cutting. But, if you bought a pie from the freezer or refrigerator section, any leftover pie will need to be stored in your refrigerator.
What Is the Nutrition Information for a Slice of Sweet Potato Pie?
The nutrition information for a slice of sweet potato pie will vary according to the ingredients that the pie is made from. This is true with all pies. But, according to the USDA, a pie made with 4 eggs, ¾ cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes, ½ cup of skim milk, and 2 tablespoons of butter, along with various seasonings and spices, will provide the following nutritional values:
|Omega 3 – EPA
|Omega 3 – DHA
|Added Sugars Included
Sweet potato pie has a rich history and has long been a favorite of Americans, especially in the Southern states, but sweet potatoes can be traced back to Peru and the Spanish traders who introduced them to the Europeans, and then they were brought back across the Atlantic to America with the slave traders.
And whether you like sweet potato pie or prefer your sweet potatoes baked, fried, or part of a casserole, they are a delicious treat that is an important part of the diet of many households around the world.
Thanks for stoppin’ by!
For more, don’t miss Does Pie Need to Be Refrigerated? | Ingredients Matter.
Throughout the years, I've learned a thing or two about making the most of seasonal veggies. Today, I want to share some things I've learned about freezing one of our winter favorites: parsnips....
Sometimes, even the most seasoned home cooks have a batch of grainy or crystallized jam or jelly. But fear not! I've dealt with this issue many times over the years and am here to guide...